Our writers are suffering the not-so-quiet indignities that come with a heatwave. But how do you know it’s too hot?
2. When drinking cold tea and coffee is a thing, not just the inevitable consequence of a chaotic day.
3. When applying sun cream is more of a basting process.
4. When you see a queue and join it because someone might be selling cold drinks at the other end.
5. When your tit sweat starts to drop on your feet.
6. When you spray deodorant on six parts of your body instead of the usual two.
7. When five a day means ice creams.
8. When you were going to set fire to your ex’s stuff and find it’s already aflame.
9. When the phrase, ‘Let’s get you out of those wet clothes’ isn’t said with any sort of smile.
10. When you look in a mirror and see this.
11. When you wonder, ‘what the fuck is that smell?’ and realise it is you.
12. When you get home and strip all your clothes off before the front door has fully shut behind you.
13. When you queue for 45 minutes at a festival for a go in a shower that is too small, claggy and freezing cold and it’s still the best three minutes of your life.
14. When the pool or paddling pool is all about you.
15. When your legs are so stuck together you feel like a mermaid.
16. When you have to put on oven gloves to get in the car.
17. When you see the cat doing this and you seriously consider doing the same.
18. Or the cat tries to sit on you and you tell it to fuck off.
19. Or your partner tries to touch you.
20. When EVERYONE in your house ate breakfast at the table bare chested.
21. When you just made cheese on toast without using the grill.
22. When you’re doing so little work that you kinda accept the gender pay gap as being totally appropriate.
23. When ancient pavement gum has ‘reactivated’.
24. When you have no ice lollies stocked and start eyeing up the fish fingers.
25. When the Plasticine dinosaur you had made for Edinburgh commits suicide. (OK, that one might not be universal…)
By Kate McCabe, Hannah Dunleavy, Mickey Noonan, Jane Bostock, Sarah Millican, Claire Goodwin, Dotty Winters, Daisy Leverington, Sian Harries, Vicky Warburton, Sooz Kempner, Kiri Pritchard-McLean and Laura Lexx.
Enjoyed this? Help Standard Issue keep going by joining our gang. Click here to find out how.8761 Views
Some of Standard Issue's brilliant women's carefully crafted words for your reading pleasure.